Friday, March 13, 2015

Just a Blue Moon and I

     Today at work was a "catch up on meetings/paperwork/getting things done" day for me, and therefore my students. While I was leading IEP meetings, working on paperwork, and getting caught up from all our snow days, my students were also catching up on finishing work they hadn't finished from this past week! Woo woooo productivity!

     Seeing as how that's the theme of the day, I thought I'd catch up and write a megaton of posts tonight. Or just 2. Also my husband is busy with work stuff this evening so it's just me. Correction: me and a blue moon. We are here, trying to keep ourselves occupied after dinner. So blog posts are just rolling in.

     I've got more food to show you!

Please enjoy these camouflage cupcake liners

























Notice the crumb trail. I'm a mess.
     These are some of the best cupcakes I have ever made. And while you're scrolling through this post, looking for pictures of the rest of the dozen that I made....well they're gone. I ate them. Or shared a few. But mostly I ate them. I just ate this one, actually, immediately after I uploaded the pictures.

     Red Wine and Chocolate Cupcakes, with a "Red Wine" buttercream. These were my submission for last week's baking challenge.They are heavenly. Decadent but not too heavy, rich but not too dry, and the frosting is just sweet enough to balance out the robust red wine, chocolate, and cinnamon combination in the cupcake. I mixed these up with a hand mixer, since that's all I have, although the recipe says to cream with a stand mixer (Psh). Also, I think I'd want these to taste a little more chocolatey, so I might add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon next time, instead of 1/4 tsp. But that's just me! I still thought these were wholly scrumptious, though, so maybe I'll chicken out and keep the recipe the same the next time I make them...




     Here is a cupcake with my "Blue Moon" towel. I am an avid Manchester City Football (Futbol) fan. I figured I'd put the towel in the picture since I'm drinking a Blue Moon, and because I'm just weird when I'm at home alone on a Friday night.






You can find the recipe over at Tide and Thyme! I'll copy it below as well. Eat up!!

Chocolate and Red Wine Cupcakes
Recipe makes and frosts a dozen cupcakes

8 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
3/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Then add in the egg and egg yolk, as well as the vanilla, beat well until combined.
Add in 1/2 of the dry ingredients, followed by the wine, then the remainder of the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined, scraping the bottom of the bowl if necessary.
Divide batter evenly into lined muffin pan. Bake for 18 minutes then remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
In the meantime, to make the frosting, whip the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly incorporate the powdered sugar, as well as the wine and vanilla. Beat until no lumps remain. Frost cupcakes as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment