Monday, July 6, 2015

Food Blog Recommendation: Budget Bytes

 Head on over to www.budgetbytes.com and check it out!

I have to say, when my husband showed me this website and said it looked like a good way to curb extra spending in the grocery category, I rolled my eyes at him. I feel like local grocery prices can vary so much, especially with in and out of season produce, local meat and dairy markets, etc. etc. that saying "this meal only costs $$ per serving" is kind of a gamble.

That being said, I browsed the recipes with him and many of them look pretty tasty. Even if the cost effectiveness of the meal is negated by local grocery price factors, or simply what we have available in the kitchen at the moment, the meals are pretty easy to make and are tasty. We've made a few recipes from their blog so far in the last few weeks. Tonight I made One Pot Chili Pasta, without the diced tomatoes and macaroni noodles (subbed in diced green chiles and egg noodles, because that's what we had in the pantry instead), and it was delicious. Simple to make, few directions, and the least amount of ingredients for the best amount of flavor. It's a good thing we both like the recipes, as I'm sure my husband will use this for his weekly dinner once school starts up again in the fall.

(Side note: I delegate a meal -or two, if it's that kind of week- to my husband every week, as a way I can feel like I have "extra time off" during the school year. He's great with a recipe! I recommend this strategy to all couples; the non-cooking individual should do some of the cooking every now and then. It builds up kitchen skills and also gives the cooking individual a break, but it also makes sure both parties are involved in the process of providing for each other. At least, that's how I see it. My hubs sees it as an adventure each week, although at first it was definitely more of a chore and I had to help quite a bit. Time and patience and a good source for recipes will cure that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment