Monday, November 23, 2015

A Crafty Christmas: The Overview

I'm terrible at picking out presents. Terrible, I tell you! I always think that it's good fun to go and buy presents, but I am LAME at picking out good ones. Don't believe me? I'll put some embarrassing examples after the DIY list I'm sharing.

In the next few weeks I'll update this post to include some DIY gifts I'm doing that are a) not sugar scrubs, b) not junk food, and c) fairly simple to make (hopefully). I've got a few started, and one post ready to write, so here's the list.
(If the tutorial is another blog post, I'll link it as "tutorial." The project title will be my outcomes as they are completed.)

~ Birthday Calendars (Tutorial is already made but I'll link the new one I'm making)
~ Decorative Letters
~ Make-up Bags
~ Pencil Holder
~ Kid's Felt Wall Christmas Tree
~ Reversible Shoulder Bag
* edit: The strikethroughs are projects I had planned but just didn't have time for this year. Reminder: Start earlier next year!

And now, let me prove how embarrassingly bad I am at this gift giving game:

Example 1: When I was a kid, we used to pick names of our immediate family members at Christmas, and whoever you picked, you got a nice gift for them, so you didn't have to pick out something good for everyone. One year, when I was around 15, my giftee was my older brother. Slogan t-shirts were in, and claiming your inner video game nerd was starting to become popular, so I went to the nearest Hot Topic store and bought him a bunch of video game t-shirts I thought were cool. I specifically picked out this Mario shirt, with him hitting the mushroom (to grow, in case you don't know what I mean by "hitting the mushroom," obviously), and a caption that said "Size DOES matter." I thought it was a great Mario shirt! I was SO proud of choosing this shirt because you could dominate on the game when you were big Mario. I'm serious, I thought "Jackpot! I am going to win the gift giver of the year award for this." When he opened the shirt on Christmas day he kind of laughed and looked at my mom and was like "I'm NEVER going to wear this...who would even pick this out? I can't believe how awful this shirt is." I was horrified. Mortified. The innuendo of the slogan did not even occur to me in the slightest until he opened it. I had gotten my older brother a t-shirt with a penis joke adorning the front. I probably cried, I don't remember. It was terrible. (I most likely cried. Did I say that already?)

Example 2: One month into being married was my husband's birthday. I thought I was SO smart for having remembered something he liked and getting it for him. It was this Star Wars comic book. At least, that's how I thought of it. It's about what life would have been like for Luke and Leia if Darth Vader had been a real dad. I didn't know there were two of them, I just thought it was the one book. He had pointed it out months earlier and when I was thinking of what to get him, I thought, Oh! That book! What a great idea. He'll be so surprised that I remembered. The name of the book? "Darth Vader and Son." He opened it and looked at me- his face turned white- and he said "Uh..thanks. But you're not trying to tell me anything, right?" Once I realized that he thought I was trying to tell him I was pregnant, I was, again, mortified, and tried to defend it being a good gift still, even though I knew I had lost.

I know it's trendy to "DIY" your Christmas gifts, but making gifts has always been a much better option for me than choosing crappy gifts. It just feels better all around. Here's to the next several weeks being full of crafting while watching Christmas classics, or the West Wing (our current Monogamous Netflix relationship).

No comments:

Post a Comment