Sunday, January 31, 2016

Double Chocolate Cookies

Source: Buzzfeed
     Back in October I had a BAD case of Bronchitis. I was home sick for a week, and needed something to do to keep myself "resting" on the couch. I perused Neflix for an addicting new show, and lo and behold, found a winner. It's called "The Great British Baking Show." I think now it's just called the Great British Bake Off, but on Netflix the first season had a different name.



     Anyway, I plowed through the series in two days. It was so interesting! The challenges were unique and complicated, the mix of personalities between the competitors was engaging to watch, and the judging was fair. I especially like how they are able to practice two of their recipes beforehand, but the third one is a complete surprise with vague directions. Plus, you know, cute little background video of baby goats, bad (BAD) puns by the hosts, and all the drama of "Will it cook in time? Is it going to be too dry? Those look horrible, I bet he/she gets sent home" makes it worthwhile to watch.

     In case you weren't convinced you need to go watch this show now, I'll mention that one of the judges is named Mary Berry. I kid you not, that is her name! I even looked her up to see if she'd changed her name to match her baking profession, but didn't find anything conclusive. I'll keep looking. She is a cute little grandma you want to keep in your pocket, but then you're afraid she'll tell you that your cooking is too dry or not evenly baked. And you don't want to disappoint Mary Berry because it's like disappointing your own cute little grandma.



     Of course, I made my husband watch the show. And other people. I have totally watched the full season like 3 or 4 times you guys. Hubs found it entertaining. He hated the puns but still enjoyed the show, which is a sign of a good show if he can put up with the bad puns. He was clever for Christmas and got me "Mary Berry's Baking Bible- over 250 classic recipes." It's adorable, and so British. He said that when he looked it up online, it got bad reviews because Americans were annoyed that the measurements were all metric. But when it comes to baking, let me tell you, it is amazing how consistent your results are when you measure on a scale instead of using measuring cups! You will need a small kitchen scale to make these cookies. Don't fear the scale!

     The only downside to these cookies was that I completely forgot to use self-rising flour. I pulled it out and put it on the counter, and then used regular flour for some reason that I can't even explain. I was angry at myself for it, but then the cookies tasted AMAZING and came out so well that I couldn't be mad anymore.  Don't tell Mary Berry.

     These cookies taste like chocolate fudge, but they have a chewy cookie consistency. Add in the extra chips ("buttons" as Mary Berry puts it!) and they are a scrumptious treat. We ate the whole batch in 2 minutes. Maybe a bit longer. But only because we left them at home while we were away a work. In all seriousness, they are, quite simply, delicious.


Mary Berry's Double Chocolate Cookies
from "Mary Berry's Baking Bible," page 201

Taken from Mary Berry: "Dead easy to make, these are wonderful cookies. Expect an irregular shape. They are very soft when they come out of the oven but will harden up considerably on cooling. This recipe makes about 36 cookies."

Ingredients:

200 g (7 oz) plain chocolate
50 g (2 oz) butter
397 g (14 oz) can of condensed milk
225 g (8 oz) self-rising flour
65 g (2.5 oz) milk or white chocolate buttons (I used milk chocolate chunks)

Method:

1. Lightly grease 3 baking trays (I used parchment paper). Break up the chocolate and gently melt it along with the butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally (I used a double boiler). Stir in the condensed milk and then take off the heat and cool.

2. Mix in the flour and the chocolate buttons and chill the mixture until firm enough to handle. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).

3. Place large teaspoonfuls of the mixture spaced well apart on the prepared baking tray. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes. The cookies should still look soft and will glisten. Don't overcook them as they soon become very hard. Carefully remove the cookies with a cookie spatula and cool on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment